June 26, 2011

HCCC Says Goodbye and Good Luck to Randall!

Last week, we said good bye to Facilities and Operations Manager, Randall Dorn. Randall has been a force to be reckoned with at HCCC for the last seven years, doing everything from exhibit installation to website management, accounting and loads of heavy lifting.  In honor of his years of service, we screen-printed special “Randall Rocks” t-shirts, held a send-off party, and this week, we salute him by posting his farewell interview.  We’ll miss you Randall, but glad you are just down the street at the MFAH!



What is your favorite Book?
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin, the third book in his A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Favorite Band?
The Who

Favorite artist/Asher Gallery artist?
Lotus Bermudez.  I've known Lotus for just over eight years now and have upwards of twenty of her pieces scattered throughout the house.  Besides all that, she bought me lunch today. 

Which craft medium do you like best? Wood, Ceramic, Glass, Metal, Fibers, Mixed Media?
Metal

What exhibition was your favorite to install? Why?
My favorite exhibit to install was the most recent one, Crafting Live(s): 10 Years of Artists-in-Residence.  It was an appropriate send-off exhibit for me, as it almost acted as a retrospective of many of the people that have come through the Craft Center and touched my life in multiple ways.  It was great to see many of these familiar faces at the exhibit opening.  It was also a pleasure to share installation duties with the talented Anna Walker, Keelin Burrows and Ashley Powell.

Over the past 7 years, which HCCC event did you enjoy the most? Why?

This probably isn't the type of event that you mean, but I'm going to go with the blacksmithing workshop that Dave Koenig graciously put on for the HCCC staff members.  It was a good staff bonding experience that not only got us out of the office, but promoted the ideals of the HCCC mission statement as well.  Besides, who doesn't like swinging a hammer around and beating things with it?

What will you miss the most about HCCC?
I will miss the people that I have worked with over the years.  I have developed a fondness for more than a few of you and hope that the connections that I have made will be enduring ones. 
What is the new position that you are leaving us for?
General Accountant, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.

What about this new position excites you?
I am excited to be taking the next step in my career path of accounting, as well as being able to focus my efforts in that field.


1 comment:

  1. Randall Rocks and so does this interview!!! You will undoutedly be missed at HCCC, but gladly welcomed at MFAH. I am so grateful to have worked with you and several other amazing staff members who helped make Crafting Lives a success. I couldn't have done it without you, nor would it have been as fun. Best Wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete