October 28, 2010

Introducing Our New Artists-in-Residence: Lisa Wilson

Lisa Wilson is a metalsmith and jewelry designer who creates a range of work, from sculptural objects to one-of-a-kind jewelry. An Ohio native, Lisa received her B.F.A. from Indiana University in Bloomington, IN, before going on to earn her M.F.A. from Miami University in Oxford, OH.

Lisa Wilson in her studio at HCCC.
I found the residency at HCCC by word of mouth while I was finishing graduate school. Although I enjoy teaching, I did not want to pursue a teaching career full time directly after school. Applying for the residency seemed like a good match because it provides me time and space to make work, but I’m also able to gain some teaching experience in the Houston community.

While in my residency, I want to focus on taking my large scale sculptural work down to a smaller, more intimate size. My larger sculptures are based on algorithms found in natural objects. By making the work smaller in scale, I hope to capture the way we interact with a majority of the natural world. I want to provide contemplative experiences in my work, similar to those found when picking up a seashell on the beach or a fallen leaf on the sidewalk.



Diffusion Study,
by Lisa Wilson,
photo courtesy Jeff Sabo.
Spiral Growth,
by Lisa Wilson,
photo courtesy Jeff Sabo.
Wave Particle Loop, by Lisa Wilson,
photo courtesy Jeff Sabo.
You can find out more about our current artists-in-residence on our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment